DU 4.0 and Memory Use

From: Paul Kitwin <PAUKIT_at_HBSI.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:13:27 -0800

One of my developers posed a question to me that I can't answer.

Does Digital UNIX 4.0 utilize unallocated system memory to file caching?

He is running some database tests (we are shifting from Oracle to Red
Brick
as a warehouse server) and saw some unusual memory usage. He is using
an Alpha Server 4100 with 512 Mb or RAM.

He said that he ran a few queries, and according to vmstat, all memory
was being used,
but when he checked the swap space, it wasn't even being touched. This
by itself seems
a bit odd to me. But, when he reran the queries, the results came back
"too" quickly. As
if the data files were just read out of memory.

Any insight on DU 4 using unused RAM for file caching?

Put down the mouse, and step away from the keyboard. . .