SUMM: Found an old X-tube, how to set it up

From: Guy Dallaire <gdallaire_at_gustave.revenu.gouv.qc.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:56:38 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all.

Well, finally it turned out that the Motorola 17c is in fact an NCD 17c
with a motorola label on it. We still have not found the docs that came
with it, as well as the set of files that you have to install on the
server.

I've found out that the X windows system admin book by O'reilly that came
with DU 4.x is quite good at explaining the general info on how to set up
an X-tube. I should have looked at that manual instead of the DEC
X-Windows books. Anyway, the list was useful because someone (Burch Seymour
 AKA bseymour_at_encore.com)kindly gave me some files that they had with their
NCD 17c X-tube and I will try to set it up with those files.

Here is the original Post for the archive:

We are running DU 4.x and we have found an old Motorola 17C X-Terminal
lying around on a shelf. Unfortunatly, the manuals are lost, all we have
is the help screen upon powering on the X Terminal.

We've bnever worked with X Terminals before, only with terminal emulators
like Exceed and we had no problems, but instead of waisting that terminal,
we would like to get it up and running.

How is it supposed to boot ? It has somw weird IP address and we don't know
how to tell it where to connect to and what address to use. Can someone
point me to a source explaining how an X terminal works and how to set it
up ? I've looked at the DEC books but did not find anything useful....

Thanks !