SUMMARY : Ultra Scsi opinion .

From: Gary Menna <G.Menna_at_isu.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 15:57:37 +1100 (EST)

Hi All ,
        Thanks for the letters . I will also summarise when further
information arrives .

I wrote :
 Has anybody tried/buyed any of the RAXXX utra-scsi cabinets
 yet. In particular the RA7000 . I would greatly appreciate any opinions
 you might have .

Answers :

Scooter Morris -

We field tested the RA7000 and they were great!! We saw a substantial
performance improvement over our existing HSZ50's.

Donald Rye -

We have 4 of the NEW ESA 10000 Array's on line here. We use 3 of them for
an Oracle database (1.3TB) and one is connected to a 4100 cluster
running NT. We have had no problems except the Ultra Scsi adaptors are
not yet available for Digital Products. There are other companies
offering these adaptors though I would recommend only using Digtal Tested
devices.

Once the adaptors are out from Digital, they will replace our slower
adaptors for free which is why we went this route.

The performance is great, no failures so far..

Thanks to Huw Davies who will foward his opinion when his
           hardware arrives .

We too are thinking of trying an RA7000 early in the new year ,
so I will summarise if/when we get it .

Thanking you ,

Gary Menna E-Mail g.menna_at_isu.usyd.edu.au
Information Technology Services Phone +61 2 9351-6360
University of Sydney (G05) Fax +61 2 9351-7711

We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming, and soaked in
blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have
to stop there.