SUMMARY: Routing Problem

From: Maurer Felix, IP5 <maurerf_at_post.ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:42:16 +0100

Thank you to all of you who sended me replies. This has helped me a lot.

My problem was:

Sometimes under some unknowned circonstancies, our firewall system was
overtaking the routing task, instead of leaving this job to the default
router.

The answer is:

I was first confused with static routing setup. Even if static routing
ist used, the routes can be dynamicaly learned over the time.

But the real problem is due to our firewall system, which is trying to
do the routing for specifics internals nodes when the network is shortly
interrupted. We are now investigating on the firewall setup.

In the mean time I were able to force the route over the default router,
using the command arp -s default_router_ip_addr mac_adress.

Felix Maurer
Die POST Tel: +41-31 338 98 49
Informatik POST Fax: +41-31 338 98 80
Messaging Management
Engehaldenstrasse 37 mailto:maurerf_at_post.ch
CH- 3030 Bern http://www.post.ch