Tools for ethernet analysis

From: managers account <managers_at_mannet.mcb.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:32:37 +0000 (GMT)

We are having excessive collisions on our standard 1000 4/200 Alpha 10mb
ethernet. Over the weekend it got so bad as to hang the whole system. A
reboot did not fix anything and DEC maintenance believe the ethernet is
overloaded. We have overhauled the thin wire segments, minimising the
lengths and replacing any which were more than a few months old. That has
stopped the hanging but the collisions are still running at 25%. We need
to collect info on the total throughput so as to prove or disprove the
maint engineers assertion. We cannot afford a hardware network analyser
and DEC said they would send out a consultant but the cost is up in the
thousands.

  We have monitored at all strategic places eg netstat -i -s -d
2 on the Alpha, sho int on the routers etc., but can only account for
about 1.5mbs in total. The DEC engineers are suggesting activity of 4 to
6 mbs and that the network is simply overloaded.

  Are there any software tools which will allow us to obtain the base data
please? Alpha or pc based is fine.

  Can we upgrade the network to 100mb? If so what are the steps?

Could we install a second pci 10mb card and put a direct feed from the
satellite news collection into the Alpha so that doesnt clash with other
traffic?

Any general answers or comments welcome.

Thanks
Stuart McKenzie