Raid questions

From: <71055.111_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:30:33 -0500

Dear Friends:

We have the following scenario:( this is an abstract of the uerf command )

AlphaServer 2100 4/200 cpu 0 EV-4s 1mb b-cache cpu 1 EV-4s 1mb b-cache
Digital UNIX V3.2C (Rev. 148) physical memory = 256.00 megabytes.
Master cpu at slot 0. Firmware revision: 4.1 PALcode: OSF version 1.35
Initializing xcr0. xcr0 at eisa0. re0 at xcr0 unit 0 (unit status =
_ONLINE, raid level = 5)
EISA RAID controller w/ seven 2.1 GB ( 8-bit Disk drive )

We want to make an upgrade from existing EISA RAID controller to a new PCI
RAID controller.
The reasons could be as follow:

-EISA controller only accept 8-bits devices while PCI accepts 8-bit and
16-bit devices.
-Memory Cache. EISA only have 4 MB while PCI can grow up to 32 MB.
-Speed. EISA transfer rate is 10 MB ( because the HD ), PCI can do it at 20
MHz.

The upgrade include H.D. too. We will sustitute our 8-bit devices w/ the
new DS-RZ1CB-VW
(4.3 GB 7200 RPM Ultra SCSI 16-bit Disk Drive ).

We bougth a PCI controller w/ 4 MB cache. Nine DS-RZ1CB-VW disk drives and
three shelves. The
initial configuration will be each PCI channel connected to a one shelf and
 each
shelf w/ 3 DS-RZ1CB-VW disk drives ( for load balancing )

Filesystems. ( Three filesystems )

root "/" filesystem ( aprox 100 MB, UFS )

usr "/usr" filesystem ( aprox 2 GB, UFS )

u1 "/u1" filesystem ( aprox 9 GB, UFS )

Now w/ the EISA controller we have a single group that includes all seven
disk drives.
We don't like to lose the RAID level 5 . Our application is a transaction
system.

Questions:

1. What will be the best configuration of the RAID subsystem in this
situation?
   -A single group and after edit the disk label and assign the space
required by the filesystems?

2. What is the filesystem that offer the more speed access ( UFS or ADVFS
)?

We shall appreciate any help you can give us in this matter anf be sure it
will
summarize deeply.

Thanks in advance.

Eligio Caballero and Gerardo Hernandez