SUMMARY: Micropolis disk problem in Alphastation 500

From: Graham Allan <ALLAN_at_mnhep1.hep.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:46:40 -0600

As ever, this list is amazingly helpful: I started getting replies
within 10 minutes of sending my question.

Thanks in particular to:

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com, who suggested that the problem must lie within
the Micropolis drive, not playing by the rules of SCSI as expected by
the Digital UNIX driver. I believe the firmware in the drive is current,
so life seems to short to pursue the matter further with Micropolis...

Stephen Dowdy (dowdy_at_cs.colorado.edu) and Charlie Jui
(jui_at_phoebe.physics.utah.edu) both reported no end of problems with
Micropolis drives in their systems - very high failure rates, along with
failure of the warranty replacements.

Dr Thomas Blinn (tpb_at_zk3.dec.com) suggested that the 3391WS is not a
good citizen sharing the SCSI bus with other fast/wide devices, when
driven with a sufficiently fast system. So this also points to a design
defect in the Micropolis firmware.

My solution has been to get my drive vendor to exchange the offending
drive for the equivalent Seagate model.

Thanks again for all the help,

Graham Allan
Physics Department, University of Minnesota
------------------------------
The original question follows:

One of my machines here is an Alphastation 500/333, which is giving some
unusual problems with a Micropolis fast/wide SCSI disk. I wonder if
anyone here might have any ideas as to a solution (other than "buy
approved Digital disks"!).

The scsi bus has these devices attached (taken from uerf for
convenience):

rz0 at scsi0 target 0 lun 0 (LID=0)
_(DEC RZ28D (C) DEC 0008) (Wide16)
rz2 at scsi0 target 2 lun 0 (LID=1)
_(MICROP 3391WS x43h) (Wide16)
tz3 at scsi0 target 3 lun 0 (LID=2)
_(ARCHIVE Python 28849-XXX 4.CM)
changer at scsi0 target 3 lun 1
_(LID=3) (ARCHIVE Python 28849-XXX 4.CM)
rz4 at scsi0 target 4 lun 0 (LID=4)
_(DEC RRD45 (C) DEC 1645)

And I am running Digital UNIX V4.0B (Rev. 564), firmware version 6.4-3.
Most relevant-seeming patches from the duv40bas00005-19970926 kit are
installed.

The tape device is external and terminated, but same behaviour seen with
it absent. The RZ28 is the system disk.

What happens is, the machine will run normally for some amount of time
(3 hours... 5 days...) then I get a kernal panic and crash. From the
error log, there are many of these events:

EVENT CLASS ERROR EVENT
OS EVENT TYPE 199. CAM SCSI
SEQUENCE NUMBER 34.
OPERATING SYSTEM DEC OSF/1
OCCURRED/LOGGED ON Thu Nov 20 17:09:51 1997
OCCURRED ON SYSTEM mnhepw
SYSTEM ID x0005000F
SYSTYPE x00000000

----- UNIT INFORMATION -----

CLASS x0000 DISK
SUBSYSTEM x0000 DISK
BUS # x0000
                              x0010 LUN x0
                                        TARGET x2

And the crash dump says (hope I'm picking out the important part here):

Hard Error Detected
MICROP 3391WS ^X3391WS
Active CCB at time of error
Command timed out
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 0 target 2 lun 0
cdisk_complete
Retries Exhausted

Hard Error Detected
MICROP 3391WS ^X3391WS
Active CCB at time of error
Command timed out
AdvFS I/O error:
    Volume: /dev/rz2g
    Tag: 0xfffffff7.0000
    Page: 450
    Block: 7614528
    Block count: 32
    Type of operation: Write
    Error: 5

OK, this clearly points at the Micropolis disk as the culprit, but I
don't suspect a hardware fault in the disk, as the same behaviour was
also seen with a different Micropolis disk (3243WS; a 4G disk instead of
9G). Also similar behaviour: after the crash, "show devices" at the
console doesn't list the Micropolis disk, which doesn't return until a
power-cycle.

Dropping in a (non-wide) Seagate disk instead of a Micropolis,
everything works ok.

I think that probably tells the whole story - but is there likely to be
any solution, or is this just a bad hardware mismatch?

Thanks very much for any insight/hints/answers,

Graham Allan
University of Minnesota