SUMMARY: mSQL on DEC UNIX 3.2c

From: Mark Burrell <mark_at_adam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:28:26 +0000

I just love this list - I mailed my problem on Friday
afternoon, and had the answer on Monday morning.

My original problem was that I was getting 'yacc stack
overflows' while using mSQL 2.0.3 on a DU 3.2c box. The same
software worked on a Linux box, so it was definately a DU
issue.

Well, Ansgar Schlueter from Germany pointed me in the right
direction. He reported that he has had this problem also,
both with earlier versions of mSQL and on both DU 3.2c and
with 4.0b.

As he correctly pointed out the problem lies with the
definition of YYMAXDEPTH in a file called parser.y in
msql-2.0.3/src/lang-common/ . This file is parsed by yacc
to produce the y.tab.c and y.tab.h files. Yacc with DU by
default sets the yacc stack limit to only 150 (The yacc
program under Linux (called bison) sets this definition to 500
by default).

To fix the problem I added the line

#define YYMAXDEPTH 500

near the beginning of parser.y and re-compiled. Once the new
w3-msql program was in the cgi-bin directory it worked a treat.

Incidentally, its worth also patching the file

msql-2.0.3/src/msql/msql_yacc.y

as this also suffers from the same DU yacc limitation.

Many thanks to Ansgar!

Mark

--
Mark S. Burrell                        ADAM Technical Officer
Historical and Critical Studies Dept.   Tel:+44(0)191 2273704