quick summary but more questions

From: Didier Godefroy <godefro_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:50:45 -0500

Several options were proposed by several list users about restricting the ftp
and telnet access to users, some are not exactly suited to my situation and
several have merrits, and deserve some serious investigating, among the proposed
options were the setup of a guest account for ftp, setup the users area like an
anonymous ftp type, using a restricted shell, using acls and a few others...

I think the guest ftp account won't solve my problem, and may not be suited to
my situation.
The setup of the user's area as an anonymous area is very interresting, but
there's one main problem with it, at least in my situation, I have more than one
area containing user directories, so that would mean setting up several areas
like that, and users would also still be able to go into each other's accounts,
so this is still a bit short...
Using a restricted shell is also interresting but wouldn't help ftp, and it
wouldn't be a csh type or ksh, as I only have the rsh on my system, I'm still
not sure about it's abilities and limits, but if it doesn't help the ftp
problem, I'm still left with a problem to solve.
The most probable fix for my problem seems to be the use of acls, which are
already setup on the system, so all I need to do is to set them up right, and
that would fix the whole problem, both for ftp and telnet...

So if someone knows how to set these up, I'd like to hear about it, the man page
is really no help as it doesn't really explain how to set that up, instead it
just describes it, and not in enough details, could someone help?

--
Didier Godefroy
mailto:godefro_at_ibm.net