SUMMARY: Problems booting 2100a 5/300 for DUnix, hangs...

From: Oisin McGuinness <oisin_at_sbcm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 97 11:14:59 -0500

This is in reply to my own posting of Friday Jan 17 1997.

The problem turned out to be annoyingly simple: I had the console terminal on COM2 instead of COM1.
For some reason (I guess it makes remote reboot easier if one has had a crash), both COM1 and COM2
allow talking to the console software, including giving boot commands, but after "jumping to
bootstrap", no more console output goes to COM2.
The only way I realized the problem was by having a VGA terminal attached to the graphics card,
and noticing that CDE came up!!!

This should teach me a few things:
--- don't assume a machine is hung from just looking at what I think the console output is;
--- when setting up a new machine, put labels on the COM ports!

Thanks to those people who sent suggestions!

Oisin McGuinness

Sumitomo Bank Capital Markets
277 Park Avenue
New York NY 10172
USA

(212)-224-4913, email: oisin_at_sbcm.com