SUMMARY: Proper backup procedures (& a question about "restore")

From: Colin Brooks <cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:16:15 -0800

Thanks to Rich Kulawiec, Kris Chandrasekhar, Alan at DEC, and Rob Pieters
for helping me out. Posting all their responses would take up a lot of
space, so I've placed them on the following Web page:
http://www.pacific.net/~cbrooks/backup.html

I now complete my weekly system backup the following way:

I use "at" to schedule my backup in the evening, when no one is here, using
the following command:
"at 21:00 January 21 backup2"

"backup2" is a script containing the following information:
#!/bin/sh
dump -0unN /dev/rz0a
dump -0unN /dev/rz0g
dump -0unN /dev/rz6e
dump -0unN /dev/rz3c
mt off

I wrote this script with vi and made it executable with the "chmod +x
backup2" command. Note that this command assumes that the four dumps can
fit on one tape. Right now I have about 4 gigs of data on the four
filesystems, which ought to fit on my 8505 8mm tape drive (it claims a 10
gig capacity, with compression). I have plans to write a similar script so
that I can run incremental backups on weekdays.

I do have another questions, if anyone would like to answer it:
How do I query the tape to make sure that all four dumps are on the tape?
Is there a way to use "restore" to list something like a table of contents?
I tried checking the restore man page, but the answer was not clear to me.

Thanks again to this great list - I have another question on the way!
Colin Brooks

Colin Brooks
GIS Program Analyst
Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program
Hopland Research & Extension Center
4070 University Rd.
Hopland, CA 95449
Primary #'s - TEL:(707)744-1270 FAX:(707)744-1040
Work E-mail: cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu
http://www.pacific.net/~cbrooks/gis1.htm
I'm also found at:
ESPM, University of California - Berkeley
160 Mulford Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-3114
Secondary #'s - TEL: 510-643-1136 FAX: 510-643-5438