SUMMARY: Sendmail "unsafe map file problem"

From: Damien Malczewski <d.malczewski_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:21:39 +1000

Many thanks to all those people who responded to my request.

  Unfortunately almost all responses were pointing towards a file
permission problem and I verified that all directory, file permissions and
file sizes associated with sendmail were identical to other DU machines
happily running it (and I started from / too!). Even deleting the
mailertable and domaintable files didn't make this problem go away!

  BTW, I also ran sendmail-8.8.7/test/t_pathconf to test chmod and it
returned "fpathconf claims that chown is safe and fchown agrees" which was
what was expected. Yes?

  What I did was rebuilt another sendmail.cf file with a completely default
configuration using the cf.m4 and generic-osf1.mc files (I normally add the
Anti-Relaying ruleset and block address ruleset). The mailertable and
domaintable entries pointed to the /etc directory and of course were
non-existant. Get this... it ran. Didn't even complain about their
non-existance.

  So, although this is a fixed problem, I don't really know why. :)
Perhaps it has something to do with a sus /usr/local partition? But other
programs are running fine.

One of life's mysteries!

Thanks,
Damien.

>DU Managers,
>
> I'm getting this error when I've compiled sendmail 8.8.7 on a DU 4.0B
>system. I've also compiled sendmail on a 4 other DU boxes and all went
well, >it's just this one particular machine.

> I haven't changed a thing with the sendmail distribution.
>
>Here's what I get when I start sendmail :
>
># /sbin/init.d/sendmail start
>dbm map "domaintable": unsafe map file /usr/local/lib/mail/domaintable
>dbm map "mailertable": unsafe map file /usr/local/lib/mail/mailertable
>/var/adm/sendmail/aliases: 27 aliases, longest 62 bytes, 979 bytes total
>SMTP Mail Service started
>
>Of course, the results are that no mail is sent. It queues, but the mail
is >never sent because of the above message.

>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Damien.

Damien Malczewski
UNIX Systems Manager
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University, Australia
Email : d.malczewski_at_cqu.edu.au