tar c on Alpha --> tar x on Sun

From: Tom Korsmeyer <xmeyer_at_flying-cloud.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:57:43 -0500

Hello Managers: When I create with tar on an Alpha

me_at_my_alpha>tar cf foo.tar foo

and take it over to a Sun for extraction, I get

me_at_my_Sun>tar xf foo.tar

tar: timit/verify/vertim.f - cannot create
tar: timit/verify/verify.td - cannot create
tar: timit/verify/verify.pcf - cannot create
  .
  .
  .

The man page on the Alpha seemed to be telling me the
"o" switch would solve this, but it doesn't. I checked
the list archives and can't find anything. The problem
is not reciprocal, btw. This can't be too tough, except
for a bonehead like me.

          Forever indebted, Tommy