HELP: Modifying configuration

From: Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:53:53 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I run DU 3.2D.

I will have to modify my kernel configuration soon. I have the choice of
rebuilding the kernel or using sysconfig to do the job. Reading the
ADMINISTRATION manual and the TUNING manual, I'm a bit puzzled.

I have a couple of questions:

a) In the admin manual, on the section about the configuration file entries
(Table 5-1) some parameters are listed, but others do not show. For example,
ubcminpercent is not listed. On the other hand, in the tuning manual, it
says that this parameter can be configured in the config file. There are a
lot of parameters that are now show in table 5-1, where can I get a FULL
DESCRIPTION of parameters that can be specified IN THE /usr/sys/conf/NAME
file and their effect on the system.

b) I will probably use the sysconfig command to configure my system, I would
like to know if the effects of the sysconfig command will be immediate or
will only be available after a reboot (I understand that MOST changes do not
occur immediatly and that you need to reboot for the changes to take effect)
? I also understand that PRIOR to rebooting, the parameters must be written
in the configuration database with sysconfigdb, am I right ?

c) What do I do if I goof and find out that some parameter change is
trashing the system ? For example, suppose I modify ubcminpercent to
something other than the default and I forget the original setting. How do I
tell the system to go back to de DEFAULT value ?

                                                Thanks

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net

"God only knows if god exists"