moving file system

From: Don H. Olive <don_at_andromeda.campbellsvil.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 15:39:26 -0500 (EST)

_at__at_
I've got a strange problem. I'm trying to move all the user files
from /usr/users to a new larger hard drive. I have mounted the new
file system and would like to copy all files from the old partition to
the new. I'm using commands like:

cd /usr/users
tar cf users.tar .
cd /usr/newdisk
tar xf /usr/users/users.tar

The problem is when the files are extracted all the subdirectories are
owned by root. Not only the directories in the /usr/newdisk but every
directory on down lower. Shouldn't tar maintain the ownership of all
the files? The files come back with the original ownership and
permissions but the directories are all owned by root. Ideas?

--
  Don H. Olive, Physics Department    don_at_campbellsvil.edu
  Campbellsville University           http://www2.campbellsvil.edu/~don