Memory specs for 3000 Meodel 600

From: Jonathan Rodgers <jrodgers_at_ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:15:45 -0800

We currently have a pretty well-behaved server, but are trying to
increase the memory. We purchased a kit (8 16 MB SIMMS) from Kingston,
and have tried to integrate them in every possible permutation with some
or none of the existing 16 4 MB SIMMS.

When the machine is not fully populated it fails to boot at all. When it
is populated with a combination of 16 and 4 MB SIMMS, it boots, but then
gets memory errors at testing and wont boot DU.

What I now suspect the case to be is that the machine needs to be fully
populated with like SIMMS. For our example, to get 128 MB we would need
16 8 MB SIMMS, not the 8 16 MB SIMMS we purchased. Furthermore, the 16
MB SIMMS cannot be combined with half the existing 4 MB SIMMS to give us
a total of 160 MB.

The only other possibility that we haven't tried is to insert the 2 4
SIMM daughter cards unpopulated.

Can anyone confirm this? Digital and Kingston have not been able to so
far, and I just want to stop banging my head against the wall.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Rodgers
Systems Manager
Research and Instructional Biocomputing Services
University of California, Los Angeles