SUMMARY : umount says "Device busy" , lsof says nobody is access ing...

From: Fliguer, Miguel <M_Fliguer_at_miniphone.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:09:05 -0300

My excuses for the late summary...

> Thanks (in no particular order) to :

Knut Hellebo Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com
Scott Skeate scott.b.skeatte_at_lmco.com
Bruce Kelly kellybe_at_llnl.gov
Mandell Degerness Mandell.Degerness_at_gems2.gov.bc.ca
Kurt Carlson snkac_at_java.sois.alaska.edu
Sean McGlynn smcgly_at_acxiom.co.uk
Lars Bro lbro_at_dscc.dk
Susan Rodriguez susrod_at_hbsi.com

Well, I solved this problem simply by removing the entry in /etc/fstab
for this fileset, and rebooting. This is the path I didn't want to
follow,
because I still don't know what happened. Definitely there was no
process
accessing the mount point or below it. Neither was NFS involved in any
way.

I tried with uafuser, the program supplied by Kurt Carlson, and I agree
with Kurt that is a lot faster than lsof, but it also couldn't find
anything referencing the mount point. You can find uafuser in the kit
at ftp://raven.alaska.edu/pub/sois/uaio-v2.1.tar.Z

I believe (as Kurt also suggested), the problem is somehow related
to the clonefset business (we used to mount our database clones
on the involved mount point).

Bruce Kelly mentioned the existence of a patch for this problem
on 4.0D (included in the jumbo kit #1). Alas, we're stuck on 4.0B.

Lars Bro and Susan Rodriguez both suggested to check for the
presence of zombie processes.

Thanks again, long live to alpha-osf-managers_at_ornl.gov !!!

---------- Original question :

------ End of Original Question --------