SUMMARY: Remote syslog broke

From: Rick Beebe <BEEBE_at_BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:28:50 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the quick responses! My original message:

> I'm probably doing something silly but this one's got me stumped. I
> recently upgraded a central syslog server from DU 4.0b to 4.0d. When I did
> that the machine stopped accepting syslog requests from remote machines.
> Everything _appears_ to be normal. Any ideas?

Eskil Swahn summarized it nicely:

From: Eskil.Swahn_at_LDC.lu.se

That's not a bug, that's a feature.. (I just love to use that phrase..) =)

You have to create a new file:

/etc/syslog.auth with owner:group root:system and permissions 600.

In this file you list all the machines you want to accept logs from like
this:

machine1.my.domain
machine2.my.domain
.
.
.

There is actually a note about this in the release notes but I missed that
too.. =)

-------------

I also got word of a feature that _is_ a bug (John Speno also send me a
concise).

From: Gerhard Nolte <gnolte_at_gwdg.de>

you have to add the loogging hosts to /etc/syslog.auth
(each line one host).

The syslogd is broken (it dumps core if you have more than a handfull
logging hosts). DEC sent me a patched version, you can get it from

ftp.gwdg.de:/pub/mpsf/gnolte/syslogd

-------------

Unfortunately this feature is going to cause me a great deal of grief as I
am collecting log entries (SNMP traps) from well over 200 network devices.
So I think I'll be looking for a syslogd without quite so many features.

Thanks to you all for the quick responses.

"Lance A. Brown" <brown9_at_niehs.nih.gov>
 "George W. Baltz" <gwb_at_umd5.umd.edu>
 Mikael Andersson <mikan_at_elixir.e.kth.se>
 John Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>
 Gerhard Nolte <gnolte_at_gwdg.de>
 Eskil.Swahn_at_LDC.lu.se
 Gerald McLarnon <mclarnon_at_atm.ox.ac.uk>
 "Stephan K. Zitz" <zitz_at_aleph.test.net>

    Rick Beebe (203) 785-4566
    Network Engineering Manager FAX: (203) 737-4037
    ITS-Med Technology Operations Richard.Beebe_at_yale.edu
    Yale University School of Medicine
    P.O. Box 208089, New Haven, CT 06520-8089