Q: On using minimally sized crash file du 4.0d

From: Emanuel Salazar <Emanuel.Salazar_at_mci.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:34 -0600 (MDT)

i am writing to ask a question on crash file sizing. we use DU 4.0d,
alpha 4100s, with over 2000 MB memory, and not much disk. we have
opt'd for a small primary swap file (256 MB) and a larger secondary
swap file, max 2000 MB.

my question is, when a system panics: the crash file recording will
start in the small primary, spill over into the secondary, and if
need, start writing on top of what was in the small primary - circular
recording. am i correct in my understanding?

if i am understnding - how will i know where in the crash file the
last gasp is recorded. the customer does not want to have large (2000
MB and higher) disk allocations for crash.

i have looked for references to read, but have found none - i want to
understand what happens w/r to a crash file in a panic.

thanks