DEC3000/600: Question re meaning of diagnostic display lights

From: Oisin McGuinness <oisin_at_sbcm.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:06:56 -0400

I have a DEC3000/600, which is being upgraded from running OSF1 2.0 to DU 4.0D, and
is having a little hardware work (removal of a FDDI card) being done to it. It now refuses to boot, no messages
to the console, and the "Diagnostic Display Lights" (LED's on the back, described
in the Owner's Guide page 14-10, 14-11) have displayed either
just light 1 on (counting 7 to 0, as per the guide, from left to right), or else
lights 7, 6, 5,4, 2 on. (According to the guide, after power up, and before booting the
OS, the normal light pattern is 7,6,4,3,2,0, spelling DD in binary. And my other 3000/600's are
normal in that no lights are on while the OS is running.)

We never bought the Service Guide for these boxes (Code: EK-FLSPC-SV), so I don't know
the meaning of these diagnostic lights, and the manual is old enough that it is nowhere
on DEC's Web site, or available at gatekeeper.

Could someone who has this service guide let me know what the meaning is?

Thanks in advance!

Oisin McGuinness

Sumitomo Bank Capital Markets
277 Park Avenue
New York NY 10172
USA

(212)-224-4913, email: oisin_at_sbcm.com