SUMMARY: /var on Advfs domain

From: Martin Li <martin_at_maths.unsw.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:50:10 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I've received three replies regarding this problem. Thanks to
        lamullikin_at_west.raytheon.com
        Stephen LaBelle <labelles_at_mscd.edu>
        Digital Support <digital_at_astro.ocis.temple.edu>
for their replies.

I had the latest patch kit installed, only running defrag once at a time
and there was no apparent h/w problem at the time when system hung.

Base on the replies I've received, I suspect it is not a problem with
advfs. The only other thing that I can think of, besides of advfs, is
running out of swap space.

Cheers,

-----------------------Original Question---------------------------------
Hi,

A while ago, I converted a 4.3G disk into Advfs and moved /var onto it. I
realised that there was a lot of temporary files on that file system, so I
had a cron job defragging the file system every night. It was running
fine for a few month until a user couldn't open her mailbox in
/var/spool/mail. Any process that try to access the file hangs.
Eventually the whole system (8200 running 4.0A) hangs.

A week ago, I installed 4.0D on the machine. On friday, a user tried to
read his email and the whole thing happened again.

Has anyone had similar experience?

I think I'll convert /var back to ufs for the time being.

---------------------------Reply one-------------------------------------

From: lamullikin_at_west.raytheon.com

     4.0d also automatically add a defrag to the crontab - maybe you are
     defragging twice as the same time.

     Louis

---------------------------Reply two-------------------------------------

From: Stephen LaBelle <labelles_at_mscd.edu>

Hello,

I have 4 Digital Unix Alpha systems.

One system runs DU 4.0D and the other three run DU 4.0B.

I use exclusively ADVFS on these systems including the O/S partitions

                /, /usr, /var

I have never seen nor heard of the problem you describe. I have not seen
it on my systems.

I doubt if just reverting back to UFS will solve your problem, seems like
something more is going on?

Make sure your system(s) are at the proper patch levels:

        patch kit #7 for DU 4.0B

        patch kit #1 for DU 4.0D

                                                        Steve

--------------------------Reply three------------------------------------

From: Digital Support <digital_at_astro.ocis.temple.edu>

Martin

We have an 8200 with something like 20000 users running ADVFS on var ..No
problems....

Few more questions if you could answer...

I presume you might have a h/w problem on the disk itself which is crashing
the machjine.

Secondly do you have all the related patches installed as I remember there
were soimne advfs panic patches which had to be installed.

You might even check the crash dump file to see whats the issue..Its
certainly solvable

Regards
Balaji