NSR 4.4: error 0 occured

From: Erik Persson <erik_at_ikp.liu.se>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:30:04 +0200

Suddenly, when trying to label/recycle tapes with NSR 4.4 the
operation (on a TZ07L DAT loader) starts failing with error code 0 (as
in zero):

Fri 20:10:04 /dev/nrmt0h verify label operation in progress
Fri 20:10:04 media warning: /dev/nrmt0h reading: Error 0 occurred.
Fri 20:10:04 /dev/nrmt0h no tape label found
Fri 20:10:06 /dev/nrmt0h label without mount operation in progress
Fri 20:10:44 /dev/nrmt0h Error 0 occurred.

The same error comes up on inventories and mount attempts.

Being more than just a tad tired with that DAT anyway, I went right on
installing the brand new TZ887 instead. With that one i still get the
error message but the actions succeed anyway (such as labeling and
mounting).

That being fine with me I lent back and proceeded happeling labeling
DLT tapes when upon loading the third tape being hit with a seemingly
unrecoverable "Loader Fault". Close inspection of the drive unit
reveals something that looks like 5 cm of torn off DLT tape inside the
drive reel (the transparent one).

Being back at square one and in desperate need of making some backups
i come to you, ladies and gentlemen, looking for hints:

1. How to solve the "error 0" condition. To me, an error code of zer
means "no error". What does it mean to networker? Strange thing is
that I haven't even seen this before and _I_ haven't modifed the
system.

Thank you for your time,
/Erik

--
Erik Persson, System Manager            e-mail: erik_at_ikp.liu.se
Dept. of Mech. Engineering              Voice: +46 13 28 2464