Ping vs NFS, I'm confused

From: Burch Seymour RTPS <bseymour_at_ns.encore.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:37:02 -0400 (EDT)

Here in thundery south Florida we just had a power flicker that took
down some servers, but not others.

My 2100 server has some NFS mounted disks on another host. The other host
went down, the 2100 did not.

I suspected the routers had rebooted so I tried to ping outside the
company, and got an error, then I tried pinging my X-tube which I know
is up, beacuse I'm using it, and got the same error:

> ns.encore.com> ping 206.156.225.36
NFS2 getattr failed for server rt91 : RPC: Timed out

rt91 is the host with the NFS drives.

My question is: Why should ping care about NFS mounted drives? It makes
me wonder if I have something misconfigured in network land.

Any thoughts appreciated. Consider this more curiosity than urgent.
We're back and running now.

--
This message from,		Encore Computer Corporation   MS/108
Burch Seymour                   6901 W Sunrise Boulevard