adding Conner SCSI drives to AlphaServer 400/233

From: <Russ_Fish_at_idx.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 15:06:56 -0700

To: alpha-osf-managers
Hello DUnixers--

I am trying to add a pair of Conner CFP1080S drives to my AlphaServer, and
I'm not having much luck. The devices are visible from the single-user
prompt, but when the system boots, it hangs before the CDE startup. After
scouring the (excellent) OSF archives, I've tried the following:

1. Changing SCSI IDs, removing termination, removing CD-ROM, etc.
2. Checked for a video card conflict with some SCSI drives; my video card
did not apply.
3. Set FAST_SCSI_A = TRUE to enable fast SCSI support (according to the
Conner/Seagate web site, these are Fast SCSI-2 drives).
4. Booted from genvmunix to try doconfig, same result.

The system boots fine without the drives installed, hangs with them
attached. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

--Russ
russ_fish_at_idx.com