Sendmail Configuration Problems

From: Lisa Fuchs <lfuchs_at_alpha.comsource.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:31:25 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Unix Gurus,

I have a Dec 2100 Alpha loaded with Unix 3.2 G. I am in
the process of compiling and setting up sendmail 8.9.0.
I thought I compiled the sendmail program with NEWDB
support, but now I am not sure. What steps do you have
to complete to setup NEWDB support?

I cann't figure out how to build the configuration files
using the Berkley DB library files. I have gotten a sendmail.cf file
built with no problems.

But how do I build the alias file? I try to use the following
command: makemap hash /etc/aliases.db < /etc/aliases

This gives me the error: Type hash not supported in this version.

(I have to admit I simply copied my old alias file into the etc
directory but the format looked as though it would be the same.)

What does this mean? Is it possible to actually compile a hash
command or does it just exist as some type of library file?

Sorry for being such a newbie but this is my first time compiling
something which is so complicated.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

TIA

Lisa Fuchs