RAID configuration for DEC 500au

From: Kerry Kinnersley <kkinners_at_ford.ios.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 11:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

I need help ASAP ...
Could someone please shed some light in the following dark area:

I have a RAID Array 230/Plus PCI controller and 3 ultra-wide scsi-2 disk
drives that need to be set up. I only want RAID 0 so I am going to put
the disk drives (3 x 9.1GB) inside the cpu box.

I was told I could use the existing 68 pin ribbon cable which already connects
the boot disk, to connect to the RAID controller and it's 3 disks.

Q1. What is the best scenario and can the scenario be attainable?

    - use only the RAID controller to attach the 3 disks + the boot disk
      using the existing ribbon cable.
    - leave the boot disk alone and buy a new ribbon cable for the RAID
      controller and 3 new disks

Q2. If I were to get a new ribbon cable, do I just pick any scsi channel
    (card has 3 ) to attach to the disks or would it make sense to
    put 1 disk on each channel, in the hopes of improving overall disk
    performance - keeping in mind I want RAID 0 functionality

Does anyone have any comment and/or ideas?

Kerry Kinnersley
UNIX Systems Support Manager
Institute of Ocean Sciences