retro fitting a 24 bit graphics card into a DEC personal workstat ion 500Mhz au

From: MacDonell, Dennis <DennisMacDonell_at_auslig.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:54:06 +1000

Hi,

This thing has given us heaps. What we have is a basic 500Mhz au which
has one extra Qlogic card to support a ultra fast wide pedestal. That
bit works. Then the user wanted to go from 8-bit colour to 24-bit colour
to we got a SN-PBXGI-AD PowerStorm 4D51T 3D graph 1mb 1280x1024 and put
it in the same pci slot as the original 8-bit card, ie the bottom pci
slot or the 2nd of the wide pci slots. Out of the box the card had no
jumper to disable vga, anyway why would you want to disable good old
vga. Also there were installation notes for NT intel and NT alpha but no
DU alpha. There was however an owners manual, which mentioned the jumper
for disabling vga. This card is I assume the twin monitor version of the
PowerStorm 4D20 video card.

Well when we did the card replacement and powered the system up the
following happened
(a) the system gave a number of beeps before it put up the blue screen.
(b) the blue screen when it came up had patches of black right across
(c) the system then when through the post test, got to e6 and sat for a
little bit, then put up a screen full of junk, and then basically
stopped every thing, it never returned with the >>> prompt.

Well the DEC engineer then tried another identical card, same thing. Put
the card in the second last slot, same thing. Put the card in the last
of the short pci slots, this time it started the boot, but never got
very far into it before it again produced a screen full of junk (same
sort of junk) and no >>> prompt.

My understanding of the pci bus is that the wide slots are the primary
pci bus, and that is where the video card should be. The short pci slots
are the secondary pci bus, where the video card should not be. The
latest firmware had been loaded, ie the disk that came with DU v4.0D vis
firmware upgrade v5.0.

The engineer tried to crank up ECU (the only version we had was V1.10),
but that never got very far. We had set the os_type to NT.

So now I'm open to any and all suggestions from the crew.

Dennis
Dennis Macdonell |
Systems Administrator |
AUSLIG | "Any idiot can face
em: mcdonell_at_auslig.gov.au | a crisis - its this
ph: 02 6201 4326 | day-to-day living
fax: 02 6201 4377 | that wears you out"