DE500 in Alphastation 255/233

From: Huw Davies <H.Davies_at_latrobe.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:52:22 +1000

We're in the process of upgrading a number of our alpha systems to 100Mb
ethernet. We had lots of fun upgrading one system (a 255/233) and whilst we
now have it working I'd like to know what we did wrong :-)

In installing the DE500 into the system running 4.0D as we booted genvmunix
into single user mode, as soon as the DE500 was initialized, the serial
console appeared to slow to about 110 baud and it was clear that something
affected the SCSI controller as we got SCSI CAM errors. After lots of
experimentation (involving different systems and cards) we got it to work
by putting the DE500 into what I call slot 3 (third from the top).

Is this a known feature?

 Huw Davies | e-mail: Huw.Davies_at_latrobe.edu.au
 Information Technology Services | Phone: +61 3 9479 1550 Fax: +61 3 9479
1999
 La Trobe University | "If God had wanted soccer played in the
 Melbourne Australia 3083 | air, the sky would be painted green"