Problems with the TAR backups

From: Tony Kim <Tony_Kim_at_GTSI.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:27:26 -0400

Hello all,

During the HOT backup of our Oracle database, we get the following errors in
the log file.

tar: write : I/O error
tar: Tape write error
tar: cannot open /dev/nrmt0h: I/O error

The backup process is a series of tar commands.

Example:
tar -cvf file1.dbf
tar -cvf file2.dbf
tar -cvf file3.dbf
tar -cvf file99.dbf

It works for most of the files except for few. Our cold dump which uses
VDUMP instead of TAR works fine. We can't use the VDUMP for the hot backups
cause VDUMP won't allow individual files in a directory.

This problem started ever since we upgraded our CPU processor from 300 Mhz
to 533 Mhz. We have an Alpha 4100 system running OS 4.0B. We called DEC
and they did come out and reset the firmware setting which forces the CPU to
slow down when sending data to the DLT tape drive.

If anyone know a cause or a solution to our problem, we would appreciate
your input.

Thans,
Tony