Backing up Oracle-databases, NSR 4.4/DU 4.0D

From: Thomas Strandenęs <thomas.strandenaes_at_adm.uit.no>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:42:03 +0200

Dear group,
I'm trying to set up a custom backup script for backing up our
Oracle-databases. We're using DEC NSR 4.4 (The Last DEC NSR?), and
since the 'savepnpc'-feature has not been implemented in this
version, using the 'backup command' field in the client setup
seems to be the only choice for taking down the databases before
the backup starts. However, the backup command is invoked
once *per filesystem*, and I don't want to shutdown/startup the
database once per filesystem. This is impractical for a number of
reasons. I want to do shut down the database before the backup, backup *all*
filesystems, and then resume operations. I've tried to make *one* filesystem
entry per client, create a 'backup command' script, and then call
'save/savefs' in the script for each filesystem actually installed on the
client, and then start up the database systems. This works to a certain
extent: the filesystems seem to back up properly, but the file system
listed for backup in the client setup always fails (Unsuccessful save set)
in the savegroup after one retry. My backup scripts return errorcode 0, and
no individual command called in the backup script fails, so this should not
be the cause of the saveset failure. Why does it fail? I've also tried
bypassing the 'savegroup' functionality altogether, and calling 'savefs'
from a script and cron, but I want to keep the 'savegroup completion'
features, that prints
the bootstrap information etc.

All tips are welcome, also for alternatives to this approach for backing up
Oracle-databases (cold backups are fine)

With friendly regards,

--
Thomas Strandenaes
University of Tromsų