SUMMARY: Kernel parameter ubc-nfsloopback

From: <marty.cruchten_at_paulwurth.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 11:24:47 +0200

Hi managers,

Many thanks to Mike D Cross for an immediate response!
-------------------------------
My original question :

I have an ASE cluster with two 2100 servers running 40B. sys_check tells
me to set the parameter ubc-nfsloopback to 1 in sysconfigtab. It should
be set to 1 in cluster configurations. Before doing this, I want to know
however what the function of this parameter is. I looked in the Unix
documentation of 4.0B and 4.0D but couldn't find a reference to this
special parameter. Does anyone know where this parameter is discribed or
could anyone explain its functionality to me?
---------------------------
Mike's response :

The parameters stops the system converting NFS mount requests for local
disks into non-nfs requests.

Ie, if you have a service "ser" which contains a directory "dir" ,
and both machines in your ase cluster (a and b) both mount ser:dir /mnt.

with ubc-nfslookback = 0, one server will get ser:dir mounted while the
other will have a:dir mounted, as the disk is local. This stops fail
over.

with ubc-nfslookback = 1, both get ser:dir and fail over works.

extract from /etc/sysconfigtab:

vm:
# make system use NFS to mount local filesystems, if given as NFS
syntax.
        ubc-nfsloopback=1

Mike
Regards,