remote dump with AdvFS?

From: SUNG MOON KANG <kangs_at_ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 21:10:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I've got a brand new 433au running Digital UNIX 4.0D. Now that
I'm mostly done with setting up the system, I'm working out a backup
strategy... when I ran into this little snag.

When the machine was delievered to us, it had DU4.0D pre-installed
with the disk already partitioned into AdvFS file domain sets. Now
from reading the sys admin documentation, AdvFS seemed to be a good
thing, so I kept it that way.

However, AdvFS does not seem to have the capability to use a remote
device as its backup device. Is there an equivalent to "rdump" with
AdvFS, like its "vdump" command replacing the "dump" command?

The documentation does toute the benefits of the vdump command but
makes no mention of whether it's capable of performing a remote dump.

Will I have to convert my file system to UFS in order to be able to do
backups to a remote device? Or can I keep AdvFS and still perform
remote backups?

Thanx.

Sung Moon Kang BK94 | Mech and Aero Engineering
kangs_at_aya.yale.edu | UCLA