cannot access the machine :-(

From: Hossein S. Zadeh <hossein_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:10:57 +1000 (EST)

Dear manager,
I have a weired problem here. We have an Alpha server 2100 running DU4. It
was upgraded from DU3.x years ago. Anyway, I used to use ssh to connect to
the machine remotely.

Since yesterday ssh server has been down, so when I try to connect to it
using ssh it says "Secure connection to blah refused; reverting to
insecure method." Well, after making sure there is no sniffers around, I
tried to enter the password in 'insecure' shell. But it replied "Not
authorized for terminal access -- see System Administrator." Well, so much
for that :-( One would say "use the #$#%_at_ terminal". The problem is that
something broke during upgrade from DU3.x to DU4 and now terminal USUALLY
doesn't give me a prompt :-( So you see that I am stuck here.

I cannot telnet to the machine (because it says it is insecure), and I
cannot access it via its terminal. How am I suppose to reboot the machine?
Should I just hit 'reset' and hope for the best? Any idea is much
appreciated. The sooner, the more appreciation :-)

cheers,
Hossein

| ...Mary had a little ram and Windows was so slow... |
| Hossein S. Zadeh |
| hossein_at_bf.rmit.edu.au |
| Dept of Aerospace Engineering | RMIT-Faculty of Business |
| (YES! I AM a rocket scientist!!)| (YES! I AM in business!!) |
| |
| Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Melbourne, Australia |