Still looking for a solution

From: Didier Godefroy <dg_at_ulysium.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:40:12 -0400

Howdy,

I've been looking into some kind of restricted shell or other solutions to
control users' access through telnet, but of all the suggested solutions, I
haven't found the right solution yet.
The regular restricted shells don't seem to be what I need, tcsh, bash (rbash),
Rsh or whatever, all have a restriction that is difficult to live with, they
don't allow cd commands, which makes it impossible for users to even navigate
around their own folders.
It would be nice if such restricted shells were configurable like the sendmail
restricted shell, by defining exactly which commands will be allowed, by putting
them in a special folder, but unless there is a way to use that smrsh for the
users' telnet shell logins, I can't see anything else that would allow such
configuration of what users can do.

What I need is to let users navigate around their own folders, change
permissions on their own files, copy and move files around, delete files, create
new text files with a text editor or modify their existing ones, change their
own password and check their quota, use commands such as htpasswd to let them
handle their .htaccess and password files, and whatever basic commands like ls
or even pine.

I've also been trying to find out how to setup a chrooted telnet access, but
couldn't find enough info about how to proceed.
Of course I think the chrooted shell would be the best choice, even if it would
use a lot more hard drive space, but it's been impossible for me to find any
detailed information on exactly how it can be done.

One other solution I looked at is a shell based menu of limited commands, but it
must be written and customized, and it has ways around it anyway, so it's not a
good enough solution.

I'd rather do the chrooted shell for all telnet users, and their ftp access will
get chrooted too, but where can I find the detailed how to for the chrooted
telnet shell setup?

--
Didier Godefroy
mailto:dg_at_ulysium.net