SUMMARY: Ugrading of patches release and versions of DU

From: Michael James Bradford <mjbr_at_tdk.dk>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:55:50 +0200

Thanks to the four people who answered this one:
                Olle Eriksson
                Dr. Tom Blinn
                Chris Ruhnke
                Mark R. Allen

It was generally agreed that one doesn't need to remove the previous patch
kits. Dr. Tom said it this way:

        If you're using "installupdate" then it will check what's installed
on your
        system BEFORE it does the update, and if it finds things that
shouldn't be
        on your system, it will tell you to remove them. If it doesn't
complain you
        don't need to remove the patch kits.

        The patch kits are SUPPOSED to be designed so that you don't need to
remove
        them before installing a new base OS update version. Of course, if
there is
        a patch kit available for the new version, you should be sure to
have it and
        install it as soon as you update, since otherwise bugs that were
fixed in
        the patch kits after the new version was released (that you may have
already
        fixed by installing a later kit for the old version) might come back
to bite you.

Thanks again,

Michael Bradford
TeleDanmark EDB

-------------------------------
Original question:

Over the last few months I have read various questions on upgrading patches
and upgrading versions of DU. I have heard it said that one should remove a
patch release before installing a later one. I have also heard that it is
not necessary.

We have begun upgrading all our machines to version 4.0D, and have been
removing the last patch to 4.0B, before running the installupdate. This has
worked OK on some of the machines, but some of our newer ones have had
problems. These problems appear to come from the fact that we patched the
operating system before setting up LSM. After we removed the patch and ran
the upgrade, we found that LSM had disappeared. It appears that an earlier
copy of sysconfigtab had been set in place from the data saved when making
the patch reversible.

My question is: is it necessary to remove a patch, first before upgrading to
a new version of DU, and secondly, before installing a later patch release?