[Alpha] ifconfig question

From: Sean O'Connell <sean_at_stat.Duke.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:31:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks-

I was wondering if anyone has found a reliable way of determining if
your NIC is in full-duplex mode. I have found no good way of
determining this (my switches do a really poor job of guessing the
duplex of the Digital Unix boxes) other than kicking the switch into
full duplex mode and looking for errors :(

For instance, under FreeBSD, 'ifconfig interface' will return the
media and mediaopts strings (100baseTX <full-duplex>). Is there any
nice feature like this for Digital Unix (running 4.0B)? Or a syconfig
variable or a kernel variable that we can back out?

Thanks
Sean

Sean O'Connell                                  Email: sean_at_stat.Duke.EDU
Institute of Statistics and Decision Sciences   Phone: (919) 684-5419
Duke University                                 Fax:   (919) 684-8594