SUMMARY: Q: IMAP4

From: G. Dimitoglou <george_at_esa.nascom.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:18:31 -0400

Folks,

Thanks everyone for the rapid response, here is the original question
and credits:

> Has anyone used IMAP4-based protocol solutions on DUnix machines for mail
> access instead of the POPx approach? I read the RFC on it and looks promising
> (especially the part for also manipulating folders - not just the inbox).
> Any thoughts on the topic? any success stories, software or source code
> anywhere?

The summary as far as I am concerned, is that it is a worthwhile
solution and I I should give it a try by retrieving it from the ftp
site. :)

Thanks to:
John Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu
Tim Winders <twinders_at_SPC.cc.tx.us>
Jeff Berliner <jeff_at_endeavor.med.nyu.edu>
Eisenman, Richard <richarde_at_tricity.wsu.edu>
Donald Bovee <bovee_at_amath.washington.edu>
Jorge Granjal <jgranjal_at_dei.uc.pt>
Harald Volz <info_at_bio.tuebingen.mpg.de>
Robert Otterson <Robert.Otterson_at_digital.com>
Gary Gladney <gladney_at_stsci.edu>
Steven <johnson_at_bayflash.stpt.usf.edu>
Ralph Rodriguez <rrodrigu_at_ssc.wisc.edu>

in detail:

From: John Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>

Yes, we used it. See www.imap.org.
We are using the U of Washington server.

From: Tim Winders <twinders_at_SPC.cc.tx.us>

I use the WU imap server which can be found at:
ftp://FTP.CAC.Washington.EDU/mail/imap.tar.Z

From: "Jeff Berliner" <jeff_at_endeavor.med.nyu.edu>

     We run CMU's Cyrus IMAPd here, in place of a pop3 server, and it is
pretty well put together. We have run into a few snags, which mainly deal
with locks and stuff, but the software is easy to config, and administer.

     http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/

From: "Eisenman, Richard" <richarde_at_tricity.wsu.edu>

We've used the University of Washington IMAP server with good results under
DU. Available at ftp.cac.washington.edu.

From: Donald Bovee <bovee_at_amath.washington.edu>

I have been using imap. It works great. People are happy to be able to
access their mail folders when they are away. See
http://www.washington.edu/imap/index.html for information about where to
get it and how it works.

From: Jorge Granjal <jgranjal_at_dei.uc.pt>

Hi, i'm using imapd4 rev1 from the University of Whashington on dunix 4.0B
without any problems, works like a charm... you can get it from:

ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/imap/imap.tar.Z