SUMMARY: How do I keep second net.interface down?

From: Jon Wright <jon.wright_at_ui.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 18:52:54 -0700

Original problem report:

I have a 2100 running DU 4.0D. This system has DECnet/OSI installed.
Physically, the system has two network interfaces (ln0 and tu0). I am only
using tu0; ln0 is not connected to anything. Every time the system boots
(whether I like it or not), ln0 comes up.

I checked out the configuration using the netconfig GUI tool; it claims ln0
is deconfigured. I checked out the rc.config file; it only mentions tu0. Yet
ifconfig reports ln0 as being up and because it isn't connected to anything,
it generates scads of "no carrier" error messages. Doing an "ifconfig ln0
down" shuts it up (until the next reboot at least), but I'd like to keep ln0
offline--permanently.

Can anyone advise me how to keep ln0 from coming up?

I received several suggestions to incorporate the ifconfig ln0 down into the
startup sequence. Here is the clearest description of how to do that:

Go to your /sbin/rc3.d directory and create a file called S99zzzz that
looks like the following:

-rwxr-xr-x S99zzzz

        /ifconfig ln0 down

Another suggestion was to rebuild the kernel and remove support for ln0.

After some more experimentation, I figured out that the culprit was
DECnet/OSI (the root of all evil, anyway). It was somehow binding to ln0.
Since I didn't need DECnet/OSI anyway, I just removed it and all my troubles
disappeared.

Thanks to Alex Nord, Sean O'Connell, Stephen Oxley, and Jim Williams for
their speedy replies.

--
Jon Wright
Unified Information, Inc.