SUMMARY: Source code browser

From: Lars Bro <lbr_at_dksin.dk>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:33:17 +0200

Thanks to Vinzenz Esser for reminding me of summarizing this. I had no
plans of summarizing because I did not get very much information. But as
I wrote an answer to Vinzenz, it occurred to me that I did have
something to say anyway.

I had hoped that there was some nice freeware tool that could work upon
cxref(1) data for example. There is one, called cxref that makes html
out of cxref(1) output, a colleague showed me that, but it looked to me
as if the whole thing became even more confusing.

Another company where I was formerly employed used a tool called
´sniff´ (http://www.takefive.com/products/).What I saw worked nicely, it
could show inheritance diagrams from c++ classes and a lot of other
stuff graphically.

DEC FUSE might be worth considering, K McManus felt that
"The DEC Fuse system is not too bad, the worst bit being dxladebug."

MC Vialette proposed something called logiscope
"You may find some explanations at
        http://www.verilogusa.com/
particularly at
        http://www.verilogusa.com/solution/logiscop.htm
"

But then again, this is a major profiling, test coverage, whatever suite
and I just needed a browser.

So,
        DECFuse or SNIFF, I guess.

> Vinzenz Esser wrote:
> >
> > Lars Bro wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have to look through a great deal of source code, mainly in C. I am
> > > looking for som tool that can show me, graphically, call graphs and
> > > other structures so that I can easily point&click around browsing
> > > callers, callees, data structures and so on.
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend a tool
> > >
> > > (I dont need to edit, compile, do version control or anything, just get
> > > an overview)
> > > --
> > > Lars Bro lbr_at_dksin.dk
> > > ABB Daimler-Benz Transportation Signal A/S +45 36 39 01 77
> >
> > I was wondering, if you ever received replies to this inquiry.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Vinzenz
> > --
> > Vinzenz Esser
> > EMASS Technical Support
> > Englewood, Colorado
> > E-Mail: Vinzenz_Esser_at_emass.com
> > Phone: (303) 705-3864
> > Fax: (303) 792-2465
>
> --
> Lars Bro lbr_at_dksin.dk
> ABB Daimler-Benz Transportation Signal A/S +45 36 39 01 77

--
   Lars Bro                                        lbr_at_dksin.dk
   ABB Daimler-Benz Transportation Signal A/S      +45 36 39 01 77

attached mail follows:

that appeared to be:

    a reply to a message someone else sent to the list,

    missing a "Subject" header,

    a request to be added to, or removed from, the list, or

    not appropriate for the list.

The alpha-osf-managers relay does not accept such messages and your
message will not be relayed to the entire list. If you are responding
to a message that someone else sent to the list, you should send mail
directly to that person and not copy it to the entire list. If it is a
message that you feel should be sent to the entire list, then please
mail it directly to the list.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the list, send a message to:

        majordomo_at_ornl.gov

containing one or more of the following commands in the BODY of the
message:

        subscribe alpha-osf-managers
        unsubscribe alpha-osf-managers
        help
        lists

If you have received this message in error or if this has
inconvenienced you in any way, then please accept my apologies.

Dave Sill (de5_at_ornl.gov)

Your message follows:

Thanks to Vinzenz Esser for reminding me of summarizing this. I had no
plans of summarizing because I did not get very much information. But as
I wrote an answer to Vinzenz, it occurred to me that I did have
something to say anyway.

I had hoped that there was some nice freeware tool that could work upon
cxref(1) data for example. There is one, called cxref that makes html
out of cxref(1) output, a colleague showed me that, but it looked to me
as if the whole thing became even more confusing.

Another company where I was formerly employed used a tool called
´sniff´. What I saw worked nicely, it could show inheritance diagrams