ToolTalk security hole?

From: Harry Hahn <h3_at_ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:35:08 -0700

Checking through my logs, I see what appears to be attacks made to exploit
the ToolTalk security hole:

> libtt[28407]: ttdt_Xt_input_handler(): tttk_message_receive():
>TT_ERR_NOMP^INo ttsession process is running, probably because tt_open()
>has not been called yet. If this code is returned from tt_open() it means
>ttsession could not be started, which generally means ToolTalk is not
>installed on this system.
> libtt[6259]: clnt_create for rpc.ttdbserverd on nucleus failed: RPC:
>Remote system error - Interrupted system call
> libtt[7741]: _Tt_rpc_client::init(): fcntl(F_SETFD): m

etc... This is all stuff that never showed up in the logs before but is now
appearing very frequently.

Based on a previous post, I called customer support but was rebuffed in my
request for the patch when I couldn't come up with a contract number, which
I can't locate at the moment. I've also come up empty handed searching
Digital's web site.

Does anyone know a URL for this patch? Am I affected? The logs seem to
indicate ToolTalk is not installed- does this mean I'm all clear? Is there
a definitive way to determine if I am?

Thanks,
Harry

--
Harry Hahn - h3_at_ucla.edu
Research and Instruction Biocomputer Services - UCLA