lsm & disk labels

From: <anthony.miller_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:02:25 +0100

Any help on the following would be appreciated - DUNIX V4.0D:

I am adding a shed load of disks to an existing LSM disk group. Disks
are off an HSZ70. All disks are visable to the hardware and to the os
(device files have been created).

The scenario is as follows:

1. disklabel -wr rznnn rznnn To write a new disk label
2. voldiskadd rznnn
       disk group=oracle
       disk name =rznnn

This is repeated for every disk 'in the shed'.

This is fine for all except for one disk - rze17

# voldiskadd rze17
Which disk group [<group>,none,list,q,?] (default: rootdg) oracle
Enter disk name [<name>,q,?] (default: oracle01) rze18
Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)

This fails as follows:
  Adding disk device rze17 to disk group oracle as rze18 failed.
  Error: voldg: Disk rze18: Name is already used

Because I mis-typed the disk name (the name for the disk within the disk
group). I typed rze18 instead of rze17!

Now this seems to have partially done something, because if I retry
typing things correctly, I get a failure:
Initialize a disk
Menu: LogicalStorageManager/Disk/AddDisk

  Initialization of disk device rze17 failed.
  Error:

rze17 or an overlapping partition is open.
Quitting ....

I thought I would zap the label and write a new one. However the 'wr'
fails but a 'r' says its not labelled/something wrong with the label:
# disklabel -z rze17
# disklabel -wr rze17 rze17
disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink
Use alternate partition

But the
# disklabel -r rze17
Disk is unlabeled or, /dev/rrze17a does not start at block 0 of the disk

A 'disklabel -e rze17' returns the following label where 'g' and 'h' are
clearly not the default:
# size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
  a: 131072 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
38*)
  b: 262144 131072 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 38*-
116*)
  c: 17769177 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
5257*)
  d: 0 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
-1)
  e: 0 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
-1)
  f: 0 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
-1)
  g: 17768153 0 LSMpubl # (Cyl. 0 -
5256*)
  h: 1024 17768153 LSMpriv # (Cyl. 5256*-
5257*)

If I try and make these 'unused' with a zero start and offset, it wont
let me write the label back:

Partition 'g' is in-use; Cannot modify its size or location.'
re-edit the label? [y]:

dxlsm shows that rze17 is not part of any disk group.

I have tried labelling the disk and specifying a device type, but this
craps out the same way:
# disklabel -wr rze17 rz29

I tried the following (which permits writing to the pack area). This
worked ok (but not sure if I should have done this):
# disklabel -W rze17

An attempt to do a 'disklabel -e rze17' now fails slightly differently:
disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
use "disklabel -wr" to install initial label

But a 'wr' still fails:
# disklabel -wr rze17 rze17
disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink
Use alternate partition

I also tried the following - but still on a looser:
# disklabel -wr -t advfs rze17 rz29
disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink
Use alternate partition

Tried to write another disks label, but its still not happy:
# disklabel -R rze17 /tmp/rzf17.label
disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
use "disklabel -wr" to install initial label

Help???!!! - Anticipating your replies.

Many thanks - Tony

disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink

| TONY MILLER - Systems Projects - VODAFONE LTD, Derby House, |
| Newbury Business Park, Newbury, Berkshire. |
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Phone | 01635-507687(local) |
| Work email | ANTHONY.MILLER_at_VF.VODAFONE.CO.UK |
| Home email | SANDRA_TONY_MILLER_at_COMPUSERVE.COM |
| X.400 | G=ANTHONY; S=MILLER; C=GB; A=GOLD 400; P=VODAFONE |
| FAX | 01635-506709(local) |

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this mail are my own and do not
reflect the company view unless explicitely stated. The information
is provided on an 'as is' basis and no responsibility is accepted for
any system damage howsoever caused.