writing bootable CD

From: lombardi emanuele <lele_at_mantegna.casaccia.enea.it>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:53:42 +0100 (MET)

Hi alpha folks!

I read some day ago an announce concerning a CD writer to run on our
alphas. It is named cdrecord and you can get both the executable and
the sources from
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

It is properly compiled and works perfectely on alphas (dunix 4.0d) and
I wrote some CD with it. They are mountable on dunix and I'm happy with
cdrecord.

But you know how system managers are: they never stop asking more !!
Infact I would like to write my / and /usr fsets on a bootable CD!

The CDs I made mount properly but they are not bootable. The file system
is first made with the mkisofs command (got at the above address) and
then burned onto CD by the cdrecord command.

I asked the maker of cdrecord about this topics and he answered that
booting is a matter closely related to the OS and not a standardized
topic.

So do you have any suggestion about that ?
Thanks to all and long life to our mailing-list!

Emanuele

--
 Emanuele Lombardi
 mail:  AMB-GEM-CLIM ENEA Casaccia