SUMMARY: ASE Rolling upgrade from 3.2G to 4.0D checklist

From: Malczewski, Damien <DMalczewski_at_ricegrowers.com.au>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 16:09:03 +1100

Thanks to those who responded to my question on upgrading 3 DU servers from
3.2G to 4.0D with ASE installed. I basically used tips from all those email
messages to perform the task.

Thanks to,

Balaji Chandrasekar
C.Ruhnke
Ryan Ziegler
digiunix
John Robens

I basically did as I proposed below, but a few points to add are :

1) Between 4.0A and 4.0B, I just disabled ASE rather than
uninstall/reinstall ASE
2) I left them all offline until they all reached ASE 1.5. As pointed out,
ASE 1.3 cannot be run with 1.5. Hence this sounds more like a simultaneous
upgrade doesn't it :)
3) While in single user mode in 4.0B and about to un-install ASE, do a 'lmf
reset' to load the licenses in kernel memory so ASE can be uninstalled
correctly.

It was suggested that I should do a fresh install of 4.0D and restore
important files. I would of preferred to do it this way myself, but on the
off-chance that something broke on the re-installation of local customised
software, my downtime may of been longer than what it would of taken for the
update install.

Damien.