SCSI problem with AlphaServers

From: Dirk Oede <oede_at_aei-potsdam.mpg.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 10:53:05 +0100

Hello managers,
I have a problem with SCSI devices on my AlphaServers.
I bought some new equipment for the upgrade of one of my AlphaServers
(AlphaServer 2100 4/275) :
1 Ultra-Wide-SCSI host adapter, DEC KZPBA-CA
1 Ultra-Wide-SCSI cabel, DECBN37A-01
1 StorageWorks shalf DEC DS-BA356-KF
2 Seagate Baracuda 18GB SEA ST118273W-VW

I have installed this controller as a third scsi controller and connect
the external shalf including the disks to this controller.
If I try to access the new devices I get the following error messages:
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 1 target 0 lun 0
ss_perform_timeout
timeout on disconnected request
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 1
isp_mailboxcomplete
Timeout on mailbox command completion - scheduling chip reinit
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 1 target 0 lun 0
isp_termio_abort_bdr
Failed to abort specified IO transaction - retrying
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 1 target 0 lun 0
ss_perform_timeout
timeout on disconnected request
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 1
isp_reinit
Beginning Adapter/Chip reinitialization
cam_logger: CAM_ERROR packet
cam_logger: bus 1
isp_cam_bus_reset_tmo
SCSI Bus Reset performed

I get the same error message if I connect the controller and the devices
on another AlphaServer 1000A.

The strange think is that if I install the controller and the disks on
my PersonalWorkstation the disks work without any problems! In the
workstation are also 3 scsi controllers installed (including the new
one).
The workstation is running DEC Unix 4.0c.

Have anybody an idea why the controller and disks are running on my
workstation but not on my AlphaServers?

      Dirk Oede

Dirk Oede Email:oede_at_aei-potsdam.mpg.de
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Graviationsphysik WWW: www.aei-potsdam.mpg.de
Albert-Einstein-Institut Tel: +49-0331-27537-15
Schlaatzweg 1, D-14467 Potsdam (Germany) Fax: +49-0331-27537-98