Probelm with ethernet card

From: Andrea Crisanti <krisanti_at_pisolo.phys.uniroma1.it>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 17:40:20 +0100

Hy,

I have the following problem with a Personal Workstation 500a
running DU 4.0D.

When in console mode I ask for devices with show dev
the ewa0 port is correctly seen with it mac-address.

When I try to boot the system with either vmunix or genvmunix
I get the message

   tu0: DECchip 21143: Revision: 3.0
   tu0: auto negotiation capable device
   tu0: ethernet address checksum error
   tu0 in pci slot 3 not configured

I called Digital support, which changed both the lower part of the
mather-board and the terminal card where the wire is plugged in.
However the problem is still there.

Does someone know how to solve this problem? Is it an hardware or
a software problem?

Thank
Andrea

----
Andrea Crisanti                    Tel.   : +39-6-4991 3431
Department of Physics              Fax    : +39-6-4463158
University of Rome "La Sapienza"   E-mail :
krisanti_at_castore.phys.uniroma1.it
P.le A. Moro 2
I-00185 Rome