SUMMARY: panic: cannot mount root

From: Karl Amrhein <ksa_at_ucolick.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:56:50 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the responses.

************ Original question:

My DEC 3000 system (just upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0, and
firmware updated to 7.0) does not boot.

The boot fails with this message:

        panic (cpu0): vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, or what I should do next?

************ Summary:

Problem fixed by reloading firmware AND reinstalling OS.
After reloading the firmware, the system still would not
boot. But, after reinstalling the OS, the system booted
up fine.

===> Key information point I failed to mention:
The OS was installed on the boot disk on *another system*
(by another sysadmin) then the boot disk was put back into
this system, and that's when the boot failed. Maybe the problem
stems from the fact that: the OS was installed on disk1 when inside
in hardwareA, then when disk1 was placed in hardwareB, it did
not boot. hardwareA and hardwareB appear to be almost identical
DEC 3000 systems, but apparently they are not. However, I did not
do the initial install or firmware upgrade, so I can not really be
sure what was done or not done the first time around.

Is the post kernel build specific to the system hardware? It
seems that the likely problem is that the automatic post-install
kernel build was not done on the hardware which the system was
eventually run on.

A very good suggestion was to boot genvmunix. I didn't try this
before reinstalling the OS, but is sounds like it would have
worked:

  1 - >>>boot -fi "/genvmunix" -fl 1 (boot genvmunix single user)
  2- #doconfig -C "nodename" (recreate your kernel (if you boot OK)
  3- move the new kernel into "/" and try booting again

Thanks very much for the following responses to my questions:

Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>
Robert Otterson <Robert.Otterson_at_digital.com>
mjwatson_at_snafu.livenet.net (MJ Watson)
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
Chris Glenister <C.Glenister_at_cranfield.ac.uk>

--
      Karl
Karl Amrhein                                ksa_at_ucolick.org