[SUMMARY] Forgetful Users

From: Alan B Dewey <Alan_B_Dewey_at_notesbridge.cummins.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:13:22 -0500

     I would like to say I am sorry to the delay but as usual there were
many so-called 'fires' that need to be put out before anything else could
get done. The original question will be posted at the end.

********************* Summary ******************************

     I would like thank the following people for their fast response to my
question :

Mark R. Allen <Mark.Allen_at_pbdir.com>
Bruce E. Kelly <kelly_at_east.llnl.gov>
Michael Watson <mjwatson_at_snafu.livenet.net>
Randy Styka <randy_at_conputron.com>
Sean O'Connell <sean_at_stat.Duke.EDU>
Dieter Meinert <dieter.meinert_at_aip.de>
Ed Murphy <Ed.Murphy_at_ussurg.com>
Kurt Carlson <snkac_at_java.sois.alaska.edu>
Stephen Oxley <Stephen.Oxley_at_its.monash.edu.au>
Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Allen Belk <allen.Belk_at_usm.edu>
Randy Rodgers <randy.rogers_at_ci.ft-wayne.in.us>

     I received the following information ;

     1). Use "Idled" (www.darkwing.com/idled).
     2). Use a wrapper script and get the information from various web
sites.
     3). Use "Robomon" (www.robmon.com/techspec.htm)
     4). Try the xautolock and introduce it from the Xwindows startup
script.
     5). Try "Logmon" (logmon_at_computron.com)
     6). Various scripts

     I ended up using a set of scripts from Michael Watson to kill the
worst of the offenders for the time being until I get some time to read
over the information on these other applications.

     The script I am using now to kill the process is :

     kill -9 `who -u | egrep "atoms" | sed -e 's/\./0/' -e 's/://g' | awk
'$6 > 100 || $6 == "old" {print $7}'`

     I will be more than happy to send along the information that I have
gathered from this experience. Please e-mail me privately and not to the
list. This list is very proactive not like the other list I'm on. Thanks
again for the fast response but sorry for the slow summary.

*************** Original Question *************************

Howdy Y'all

     I am having a problem with users not logging out and leaving
themselves logged on. I have looked in the archives but didn't find the
information I am looking for. I am looking for a way to terminate that
users process after an 'X' amount of time. We are running on a DEC
2100/200 with OS 3.2D-1. This will be used in conjunction with the
termination process I have for the Oracle users as well. TIA.

Alan Dewey
Oracle DBA / UNIX System Administrator
Consolidated Diesel Company
Whitakers, North Carolina