SUMMARY: Shadow Passwords w/o Enhanced Security

From: Ken Schumacher <kschu_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 11:30:12 -0600

Greetings,

   Thanks to Glenn Newbery, Alan Davis, rich <raf_at_ezunx.com>, and Donn
Aiken.

   My original question was:

   Is it possible to implement shadow passwords on a DU 4.0 system without
installing Digital's Enhanced Security package? We'd like to get shadow
passwords implemented quickly and we don't want to rush into Enhanced
Security without the proper planning up front.

   Summary of the answers:

   Basically, the answer is that one can't implement shadow passwords on a
Digital Unix system (without using third-party software) unless you
install and enable DEC's Enhanced Security package. Due to the nature of
the AlphaServer in question, we will be doing a carefully planned
implementation of Enhanced Security in the not too distant future.

   Thanks again for the prompt responses. This is quite a valuable
mailing list.

   More later,
           Ken S. -- <kschu_at_fnal.gov>