Which disk failed (or did both?)

From: Thomas M. Payerle <payerle_at_clone.physics.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:14:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have a Decstation 3000 running DU4.0b, with an AdvFS domain spanning two
disks, rz1c and rz6c ( a 500MB micropolis and a 4G Seagate Barracuda, resp.).
The AdvFS domain has two filesystems, I believe matching the physical disk
boundaries.

A few days back, the AdvFS volumes seemed to have automatically dismounted,
and it looked lie one of the disks failed. The error logs show lots of
errors of type:
ADdvFS I/O error:
        Volume /dev/rz1c
        Type of operation: Read
        Error: 5
which lead me to suspect rz1 had died. However, further investigation gave
a more muddled picture--- rz1c could have its disklabel read, but rz6c couldn't.

Although it is possible that both drives died, I find that somewhat unlikely.
Does anyone have further insight into this? Is it possible that errors on
rz1c were because it needed to read something off its domain partner rz6?
Could an error on rz1c screw up disklabels on remaining disks in domain (eg
rz6)? Or does it really look like I hit the jackpot and got 2 disks to fail
almost simultaneously?

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics payerle_at_physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland (301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111 Fax: (301) 314-9525