SUMMARY: preserving advfs filesets through upgrade

From: Bryan Dunlap <bcd_at_campbell.mps.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:11:53 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to:

matthias.reiter_at_de.pwcglobal.com
Alan Davis <Alan.Davis_at_digital.com>
"Thomas M. Payerle" <payerle_at_physics.umd.edu>
Joel_Gallun/US/DCI_at_discovery.com
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com

...for their advice. My question was:

   I am planning an upgrade from 3.2G to 4.0E on an Alphaserver 2100. I
   am going to install 4.0E on a second disk, so I will still have 3.2G
   and all my configuration info on the old root disk if I need it.

   If I re-create the /etc/fdmns directory structure on the new disk
   after installing 4.0E, will that be sufficient to get all my advfs
   filesets back the way I want?

And the answer was `yes.' The one complication I had was that the new
OS numbered my disks differently than the old kernel config (which had
been pieced together over time and hence did not use the defaults).
It was not difficult to identify which disks were which (advscan gives
serial numbers for advfs filesystems, aiding identification), and
build /etc/fdmns using the new device names.

One other benefit of 4.0E is the built-in driver for the ITI 4280UE
card. Thanks, DEC (er, Compaq) and ITI! Much easier than the last
time.

Now, here's hoping this is finally the end of "Panic: simple lock:
time limit exceeded", which patches failed to stop under 3.2G.

        ==BD